From the Galion History Center

The Galion History Center staff have been working on something sweet!

On Friday, February 23, Executive Director, Tanesha Pickering, and Curator, Keily Cunningham, met Tony Weibl and his family in the Galion History Museum as his family surprised the renown Galion baker with GHC’s newest exhibit, Tony’s Pastry Shop. The exhibit showcases artifacts from Tony’s Pastry Shop and pays homage to the incredible life of master baker Tony Weibl and the impact his bakery had on Galion.

Originally from Yugoslavia, Weibl and his family fled to Germany when Russia advanced on Yugoslavia in 1943 and took the family property. Their once well-off family was devastated from the effects of WWII. With Tony’s father away at war and experiencing hunger, at age 13, Tony became the apprentice to a German baker. Tony was often able to take baked goods home to his family after his work day.

The family came to America in 1951 where Tony joined the U.S. Army and put his baking skills to good use and quickly learned English. In 1959, Tony moved to Galion and bought the Malloy Bakery at 244 Harding Way E. The Grand Opening of Tony’s Pastry Shop took place in early February of 1960.

The shop served a variety of breads, rolls, pastries, cake, cookies, pies, doughnuts, and delicacies over it’s 29 years in uptowne Galion. It truly was a beloved business by so many in Galion! Tony retired and closed his shop in 1988.

At age 91, Tony Weibl still spends time baking at Andrew’s Pastries in Marion. Andrew’s Pastries keeps Tony’s recipes alive and well to this day.

The Galion History Center will hold a public unveiling of its new exhibit in the Galion History Museum and Gift Shop (located in the Brownella Cottage Carriage House – 132 S. Union St.) on Saturday, March 16 from 2:00-4:00 PM. Tony’s famous sugar brownies will be provided by Andrew’s Pastries while supplies last. Admission is by donation only.

Photo: Galion History Center