Friends, family, and fun for the Fourth! The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) invites everyone to include Ohio State Parks in their Fourth of July weekend plans. Parks in every part of the state are offering an abundance of events, from early morning hikes to spectacular evening fireworks, and everything in between.
“The Fourth of July Weekend is a time for everyone to come together and we’re proud that Ohio State Parks can play a role in those celebrations,” ODNR Director Mary Mertz said. “The variety of events show off the diverse experiences Ohio State Parks can offer.”
Throughout the entire weekend, come out to an Ohio State Park and experience a range of activities and adventures. Take on the bike decorating contest at Paint Creek. Learn about Gyotaku, the traditional Japanese method of printing fish, at Findley State Park. Or relax with a sunset kayak trip at Caesar Creek. Check out all of these, and so much more, at Ohio State Parks.
Places of activity over the Weekend include Malabar Farm State Park in Richland County, nearby Mohican State Park, and Mount Gilead State Park in Mount Gilead.
June 30, 11-1 p.m., Farm Fridays: Held at the Main Barn beside the Big House. It’s fun for the whole family.
· July 1, 7-10 p.m., Barn Dance: In the Main Barn, continuing a Bromfield tradition. All are welcome.
Mohican State Park
June 30, 10 a.m.-3:00 p.m., Kayaking the Lakes: Two sessions – 10 a.m.-noon or 1-3 p.m. Register in Advance at 567-223-0019.
· June 30, 12:30-12:30 p.m., Naturalist Hour: Meet at the Nature Center.
· June 30, 7-8 p.m., Wildflower Seed Bombs: Learn about native Ohio wildflowers and make a craft. Meet at the Camp Store in the Class A Campground.
· July 1, 3-4 p.m., Woof Walk: Meet at the Nature Center in the Class A Campground for a 2-mile hike with your dog.
· July 1, 9 a.m., Mohican Experts Hiking Series: Join the Naturalist on a moderate hike of 4 – 6 miles. See www.facebook.com/MohicanStatePark for details.
· July 1, 6-7:30 p.m., Evening Tree ID Stroll: Meet at the Cline Cabin
· June 2, 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m., Discovery Forest Hike: An easy 1-mile hike through the Discovery Forest to learn about forest management practices. Meet at the Discovery Forest parking lot.
· July 2, 3-4 p.m., Bees & Other Pollinators: Talk & Activity: Meet at the Nature Center in the Class A Campground.
Mount Gilead State Park
· July 1, 10-12 p.m., Natural Fireworks: Meet at Nature center. All ages welcome. Please bring water and wear close toed shoes.
· July 1, 10-12 p.m., Scales and Tails: Meet at the Nature Center. Ages 5+. No dogs allowed. Live animals!
· July 2, 1-2:30 p.m., Scats, Tracks, and Signs: Meet at the Nature Center. Ages 5+. Closed toed shoes required.
· July 4, 10-12 p.m., Natural Fireworks: Meet at Nature center. All ages welcome. Please bring water and wear close toed shoes.
· July 4, 1-4 p.m., Patriotic Crafts: No experience necessary. All-ages. Please bring water and wear closed toed shoes.
A full list of events, organized by park, can be found here.