By 1831Galion; Columbus Zoo and Aquarium News Release
The wildest water park in central Ohio is returning on May 27 with daily openings through August 13. Zoombezi Bay will then be open weekends only from August 19 through September 4 (Labor Day), followed by the return of ZOMBIEzi Bay, presented by Mtn Dew, starting on September 22.
It’s also a relatively easy day trip from Galion, a little over an hour down SR309 and US23.
Several new features and exciting offerings are sure to delight guests of all ages:
Zoombezi Bay’s new-for-2023 attraction, Pelican Point is specifically targeted for young children. Families can experience new interactive features, fun aquatic animals, and small waterslides that are perfect for waterpark fans in training. The area around Pelican Point will also feature new lounge chairs and additional shaded seating.
Meet Sam Pelican
Sam Pelican has “hatched” just in time to celebrate the exciting debut of Pelican Point this season. Zoombezi Bay’s newest aquatic Character Ambassador, guests will have opportunities to meet him all season, starting May 27, 2023.
15th Anniversary Splash Bash
Join us for the largest waterpark party you can find as we celebrate 15 years of sun-soaked fun! Our 15th Anniversary Splash Bash runs from May 27 – June 15. This kickoff event will feature appearances by our Character Ambassadors, a DJ, and specialty food, drink, and merchandise opportunities. Music throughout the park will be from the year 2008 as well.
New Shade Structures
Six new shade structures are being added to Zoombezi Bay in 2023. These new structures are found at the Wild Tides wave pool, Cyclone pool area, and Pelican Point.
Additional amenities are available for guests throughout the waterpark. Zoombezi guests looking for a little more privacy can reserve a cabana or premium lounger. All cabanas include a private, shaded shelter with chaise lounges, dining table and chairs, mini fridge, and pin-code safe; Standard and Deluxe cabanas offer the additional full service food and beverage menu and private attendant service. Premium loungers are available for guests ages 21 years and older, and are located within the adults-only Croctail Creek area. These loungers feature a dual chaise with a shade canopy, lock box, and drink service from the Sandbar.
Season Passes and Gold Memberships are also available for guests wishing to experience all that Zoombezi Bay has to offer in 2023!
The 2023 season will also offer an action-packed line-up of family fun for Zoombezi Bay guests:
- Season Pass Appreciation Day. On May 26, 2023, Zoombezi Bay Season Passholders and Gold Members are invited to be the first to join us in celebrating Zoombezi Bay’s 15th anniversary. This event features commemorative give-a-ways, live entertainment, special 15th anniversary food and retail items, and appearances by Character Ambassadors. This celebration runs from 1-8 pm and is exclusively for our Zoombezi Bay Season Passholders or Gold Members.
- World’s Largest Swimming Lesson™. As guest safety is the top priority at the waterpark, Zoombezi Bay is proud to be the official host location for the 2023 World’s Largest Swim Lesson™. This event takes place Thursday, June 22 from 10-10:30 a.m. and is designed to help build awareness about the importance of teaching children how to swim in order to help prevent drowning. This event offers a basic, 30-minute swimming lesson to children ages 2 through 12 years old (parents are also permitted to be in the water with their children). To increase participation, Zoombezi Bay is offering participants a discounted entry of $17 each, which includes access to the entire water park following the lesson, as well as the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Registration is free for Zoombezi Bay Season Pass Holders.
- Zoombezi Bay Summer Nights, presented by Velvet Ice Cream. On Friday evenings beginning late June, Zoombezi Bay Summer Nights, presented by Velvet Ice Cream, will provide guests the opportunity to enjoy extended park hours. Each Summer Nights event features live entertainment and meet-and-greets with Character Ambassadors. Select attractions will remain open while a family-friendly Dive-In Movie plays on the jumbo screen at the Wild Tides Wave Pool until 10 p.m. The show schedule is as follows:
- June 30, 2023 — Kung Fu Panda
- July 7, 2023 — The Incredible Hulk
- July 14, 2023 — Bolt
- July 21, 2023 — Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- July 28, 2023 — Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
- Water Park After Dark, presented by Harvest Pizzeria. On June 23, August 18, and September 1, Zoombezi Bay will host a 21+ event for guests to enjoy minimal wait times, musical entertainment, and complimentary beverages.
- Christmas in July. From July 21-28, Zoombezi Bay will be decking the halls and pouring on the holiday cheer during Christmas In July. This celebration will feature festive holiday activities, including visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, meet and greets with Character Ambassadors, music, games, prizes, specialty foods and gifts for sale, and more!
- Zoombezi Bay Sensory-Friendly After-Hours Event. This sensory-friendly evening on August 25 from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. is designed to meet the needs of those who may feel overwhelmed by a typical visit to the waterpark and want to enjoy the outdoors in a unique setting. Modifications to the Zoombezi Bay experience will include: smaller crowds due to limited ticketing; music will be turned off throughout the park; and sensory-friendly kits with noise-canceling headphones, sunglasses, and fidget devices will be available at Guest Relations for a $10 refundable deposit. Reservations are required.
- ZOMBIEzi Bay, presented by Mtn Dew (Returning Fall 2023). Starting on September 22, 2023, the waves of terror are returning to Zoombezi Bay, presented by Mtn Dew! The fun-filled waterpark will transform into Central Ohio’s largest Halloween theme park with four haunted houses, two scare zones, wild amusement rides, and specialty food and drink offerings.
Source, Photo: Columbus Zoo and Aquarium