Two weeks after Crawford County’s combined history experience, Galion area residents — a handful of which actually live in Richland County — have the opportunity this weekend to travel a few miles east to experience the past.
On May 6-7, Richland County will come alive with an array of exciting events and activities that showcase the area’s rich history and culture.
The schedule of events for RichHistory Weekend 2023 promises to be the most exciting yet. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s in store:
- Downtown Mansfield’s Secret City Walking Tour returns. Explore historic downtown buildings and architectural gems.
- In South Park the Blockhouse, Cabin, and Hawk’s Nest Forge & Cooperage will be open for tours, and volunteers from other historic locations like Oak Hill Cottage and the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library Sherman Room will take over the South Park Pavilion for a variety of displays and hands on activities.
- Pleasant Hill Lake Park hosts Gold Rush Panning, Dam guided tours, an introduction to Bigfoot lore, and other activities. Not too far away, Malabar Farm will have the Ceely Rose house open.
- “Passports to History”, the small RichHistory site exploration passbook, will be given out at many locations and may be redeemed for free Oak Hill Cottage tours on Sunday, $10 discounted Reformatory self-guided tours, and free admission to Kingwood Center Gardens.
- The Richland County Museum in Lexington opens for the season on Sunday, as well as the museum in Shiloh. The Lucas Area Historical Society will be collecting oral histories at the Lucas Community Center on Saturday.
These are just a few of the events and activities that will be taking place during RichHistory Weekend. Don’t miss your chance to be a part of Richland County’s rich history. Mark your calendars for May 6-7 and bring family and friends.
For more information and a full schedule of events, please visit richhistory.org/richhistoryweekend.
Source: RichHistory Alliance; Photo: 1831Galion