Chocolate Buckeyes are a popular confectionery treat that is loved by many Ohioans and many Galionites.
This sweet delight consists of a creamy, peanut butter filling that is dipped in melted chocolate, leaving a small circle of the peanut butter filling exposed at the top, resembling the Ohio state tree, the Buckeye. The resulting combination of rich, smooth chocolate and creamy, nutty peanut butter is absolutely irresistible.
The history of the buckeye candy can be traced back to the mid to 20th century, and it is believed to have originated here in Ohio as they were relatively easy and inexpensive to make but still provided a delicious indulgence.
Today, buckeyes are enjoyed by people all over the world and can be found in many specialty candy shops and online stores. They are also a popular treat during the holiday season and are often given as gifts or included in festive dessert trays.
The recipe for buckeyes is quite simple and requires only a few ingredients. The filling is made by mixing together peanut butter, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until it forms a smooth, creamy consistency. The mixture is then rolled into small balls and chilled in the refrigerator for several hours.
Once the peanut butter balls are firm, they are dipped in melted chocolate, leaving a small circle of the filling exposed at the top. The chocolate-coated buckeyes are then chilled again until the chocolate has hardened, and they are ready to be enjoyed.
Buckeyes are not only delicious but also quite versatile. They can be made with different types of chocolate, such as milk, dark, or white chocolate, depending on your preference. They can also be decorated with sprinkles or drizzled with additional chocolate for a more decadent treat.
In conclusion, buckeyes are a delicious and easy-to-make confection that is perfect for anyone who loves the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Whether you make them at home or buy them from a specialty store, buckeyes are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you wanting more.
A recipe is below. This yields 36 buckeyes.
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, softened butter, and vanilla extract until well combined and creamy.
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until the mixture becomes thick and stiff. If the mixture is too dry, you can add a little bit of milk or cream to help it come together.
- Using your hands, roll the peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the sheet in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill the balls and make them easier to handle.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening together in the microwave or using a double boiler, stirring until smooth.
- Using a toothpick or fork, dip each peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate mixture, leaving a small circle of the peanut butter filling exposed at the top to resemble a buckeye. Place the chocolate-coated balls back onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the chocolate buckeyes for at least 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to set and harden.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, you can store the buckeyes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Enjoy your delicious homemade chocolate buckeyes!
Source: Wikipedia, AI